Back in my hometown Penang, a tangy flavored or fondly known as ‘Bihun’ (or written as ‘Beehoon’ at times) is a popular serving of hawker’s delight. ‘Singapore-style’ Fried Bihun (or rice stick noodles) is the name given to this dish but I keep wondering where is its correlation with ‘Singapore’?
Despite of my wonder of its origin, I love to prepare fried rice vermicelli as it is one of the simplest dishes to cook at home. For us, it is good chance to reduce meats intake especially for dinner. Tired of a typical fried rice vermicelli? Then, try with some hot sauce and tomato ketchup and turn it to be ‘Singapore-style Fried Rice Vermicelli’!
There are many variations of this dish depends on the vegetables or seasoning used. In my attempt, I prepare with readily available vegetables like cabbages, carrot, chives, bean sprouts and onions. However, other ingredients like Chinese cabbage, shitake mushrooms or celery are also commonly used.
Ready to check out how I do it?
Ingredients (2-3 servings)
8 oz rice stick noodles
1 tsp cooking oil
1 tbsp garlic – minced
10 pieces shrimps – medium size, shelled
1/2 cup chives – cut 1/2″ length
1/4 cup carrot – julienne cut
1/4 cup yellow onion – thin sliced
1/4 cup cabbage – thin sliced
2 cup bean sprout
1 tsp hot sauce (or depends on one’s tolerance/preference)
1 tsp soy sauce
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1. Grab a large bowl and soak rice stick noodles with hot water until it is soft. Drain noodles and set aside.
2. Heat up wok and add cooking oil.
3. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
4. Add shrimps and saute until they are cooked. Remove the shrimps from wok and set aside
5. Add onion, carrot, cabbage, chives and stir-fried until they are soft and 80% cooked.
6. Add tomato ketchup, hot sauce and soy sauce, stir to blend well.
7. Place in rice stick noodles, toss and stir-fried with vegetables and seasoning. If noodle is still hard, add in a little bit of water to soften the texture.
8. Put in the bean sprouts and cooked shrimps. Toss with the hot noodles in the wok.
9. Serve hot.